Sunday, August 17, 2008

Tomato Relish


Again, a disclaimer. I did not grow these tomatoes, but they had ripe tomatoes for $1.50 a kilo at the Vic on the weekend, and being as my whole family is massive fans of the old tomato relish, I thought bugger it, why not.

So, courtesy of my good friends ABC Tasmania, here we go...

1. Chop tomatoes, apples and onion into small bits. I got quite carried away and diced them right up fine. Two kilos of tomatoes will take longer than you imagine to chop.

2. Into a big saucepan goes the tomatoes, apples, onion and garlic along with the vinegar, sugar and spices.

3. Bring it to the boil, and stir it enough to keep it from sticking to the bottom of the pan. In my case, since I'm quite well known for the variety of things I can stick to the bottom of a saucepan, I stirred it until it boiled.

4. The mixture then needs to boil for around one and a half hours, during which time I perched on my barstool in front of the stove and multitasked - periodically stirring the relish, as well as watching the league on the tellly, and peeling the onions for the pickled onions.

5. I then mixed the cornflour into a bit more vinegar and added that to the pan, leaving nothing left to do but to stir until thickened, then bottle.
This relish is ready to eat straight away, and has been a hit with the entire relish-loving family. I'm just looking forward now to when I can use my own tomatoes to make it :)


No comments: