Sunday, August 17, 2008

Corn Relish

Corn. The Wonder Fruit. What can't it do, really. We're big fans of corn in our house, and although that radioactive yellow goo they sell in jars in the supermarket under the name of corn relish does have a special place in our hearts, I thought I'd have a go at a slightly more wholesome variety.

Once again, unfortunately, I did not grow any of the veg I used in this relish. We make a monthly trip into the Queen Victoria Market in Melbourne, and this month one of the stall holders had corn for $1.20 an ear - what was I supposed to do!?

The photo above is of Michael using my mum's very nifty corn removal tool, me having silly girly hands and all. It's basically a set of metal jaws with handles, that strip the kernels off the cob. However, as you can see to the left, we had a bit of trouble getting it to take the whole kernel off, and wound up having to remove the remainder of each kernel with a knife. Oh well, now we know for next time!

Once again, the fiddliest part of this relish was all the chopping veg - aside from the corn, there was celery and two colours of capsicum to dice, plus onion. Once that was done, yet another easy peasy relish. (I should apologise but I can't locate the source of this recipe - I scrawled it on the back of an envelope off the internet, but now I can't find it. I will continue to search and update when I find it though).

1. I first boiled vinegar, salt and sugar in a large saucepan, until the sugar dissolved and the mixture was boiling.

2. In went the vegetables, and spices, and I reduced the heat and simmered the relish for around 10 minutes or so, until the veg got soft and the liquid absorbed. Again, due to my paranoia about sticking things to saucepans, I stirred it more or less constantly during this time.

3. Into my brand new spiffy jars, and voila!! The colour of this relish is incredible, and as it sits in the fridge the flavour is intensifying.

No comments: