Monday, June 9, 2008

Mint jelly

We discovered this weekend a sizeable crop of mint growing in the back corner of our garden, ostensibly through the fence from the neighbours. Closer inspection, okay let's be honest, the fact that it made my fingers smell exactly like Extra spearmint gum, made us pretty sure it's spearmint. A quick trip to the Font of All Knowledge, aka Wikipedia, makes me suspect we're right - it matches the picture of spearmint.

It was actually my mother's bright idea to make mint jelly, well, her idea was to make mint sauce but I always preferred the jelly, myself. So, away to the internet, and bless the ABC in Tasmania, because here we are again - mint jelly.

I pretty closely followed the recipe in this one, hacked up the apples and boiled them in the vinegar. I used honey apple cider vinegar, since that's what I had in the cupboard. The apple didn't puree quite as nicely as I'd hoped, but it's actually ended up giving a bit of texture to the finished jelly so all's well. I upped the mint slightly, to maybe 6 tablespoons, and I added a few drops of green food colouring because the weird brown colour it turned offended my delicate sensibilities.


No comments: